CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 24, 2008

The question of all questions...

I knew it was coming, but I didn't really want it to come so early...

Tonight, when I put Kaya to bed, she looked at me and said, "People don't die." I was really hoping that I could not say anything and she'd forget to ask me about it for another couple of years. Yeah, right. She looked at me again and said, "People don't die." In my head, I was going through all the different responses that I could possibly have to this statement and still didn't say a word. So she looked at me again and asked, "People don't die?" And I, in all of my motherly unknowingness, said, "Yes, they do." She then looked at me with a horrible look of despair and said, "People die?" I told her yes, but if they loved God they got to go to Heaven and live with Him forever. This didn't solve everything like I was hoping it would. She asked me the same thing again and I kept trying to convince her that Heaven made it all okay... Even better than okay... No, not in the mind of my three year old daughter. She started crying so hard it was all I could do to keep from breaking down myself. She kept saying, "I don't want to die" and sobbing and sobbing. I hugged her and held her and told her more about Heaven and eventually, the fact that we could go to Heaven and live forever and ever made it okay. For now.

My parents can attest to the fact that, as a child, I had an unnatural obsession with what would happen to us when we died. I was always thinking and worrying about it. And, to a certain extent, I still do. I know where I will go, but now I worry about my family, my daughter, my unborn child. I'm telling you - it's unnatural how much I think about this. My husband can now attest to this. I don't want this unnatural obsession for my daughter. I especially don't want it to start now, at three years old. I'm hoping that tonight's question is not the beginning of anything. I'm hoping it was just a question.

So now that Kaya is peacefully sleeping, I'm praying for good dreams and distraction until her level of comprehension exceeds that of a three year old. I really am happy that Kaya has such a curiousity and thirst for knowledge. (I'm just not always ready for it) God has blessed us with such a wonderful and amazing child. On this note, she has been VERY excited about the baby. She's really anxious to be able to feel movement and tries to convince it to kick hard enough for her to feel. It's cute to see her put her mouth right up to my stomach and say (very loudly), "Hello in there," then put her hands and head up to my stomach to feel the movement. It hasn't worked yet, but she keeps trying. :-) She's still stuck on "George" for a boy name, but her girl name keeps changing. It's been Lana, Genevieve, Pip, and I can't even remember what else. They're all very cute and she finally seems to be okay with the fact that we haven't picked a name, but only because we don't know if the baby's a boy or a girl. She loves this baby already and is determined to teach him/her everything she knows. And I'm sure she will. :-)

Well, now that you know more about me than I ever thought I'd post on this blog, I'm going to stop writing. I might come back later and delete parts of this, but in my attempt to let people know me for who I am, I'm going to try to resist this urge. :-)

6 comments:

Amy, Steve, Molly, Paige and Garrett said...

Pllleeeaasssseee don't feel embarrassed by admitting a fear of death. I TOTALLY obsess about it to this very day. In fact, sometimes I wonder "what if all my faith is wrong and I die and just blink out". That's when I renounce Satan for putting the thought in my head! hahahaha! And I also think about "what if I die" in regards to Steve and Molly. I think that's normal. Faith isn't easy. It's hard to trust that God will watch your family if you die because it's OUR job to take care of them. I'm the SAME way. As for Kaya's question, all I have to ask is, "what were we talking about at Life Group that would have that question pop into her head?" Or has it been brewing in there for a while? Poor little Miss. She was pretty tired when you left so I'm sure after she has some time to process your response in a rested state she'll feel better. But I'm sure she'll have some follow-up questions for you! Good luck!
Amy

DeAnna said...

WOW! What a big question for a little girl! She is so smart and so genuinly sweet! I am amazed by her! I think you handled it well! I dread having to deal with those questions with my own children. Death is such a tough issue for even us adults to understand and wrap our heads around. I think about it more often then I probably should. I havent had to many people in my life die so it scares me even more at times. Thanks for opening up and sharing with us!

Brooke said...

Kaya is lucky to have a mommy who prayerfully considers what she is saying to her and teaching her!!!

Katie Scott said...

WOW! I hope by the time Chloe starts asking these tough questions, I have learned from all of you veteran moms out there how to do it! It is crazy that kids start asking about these things so early....Thanks for being so open and honest in your post! You are an amazing woman!!

Jennifer Herring said...

Thanks for the encouragement. :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, as a your father I can honestly say that her question doesn't surprise me one bit. At her age you were asking the same questions, and while that's probably not typical for most kids it will likely be typical for yours. The tears of a 3 year old (almost 4 yikes!) are rarely easily answered in adult terms. She will likely hear some of what you have said, and add some stuff she came up with on her own, and out of that form an answer she can understand for now. What is truly amazing to me, and comforting, is that God, while giving her the ability to frame that question even though it is troublesome, also has given her the ability to eventually understand the proper answer to it. I never figured out where you came up with all the questions you asked, and after a while I stopped trying. I just figured it was a God thing and answered the question. (or tried anyway)And eventually you either accepted the answer or forgot about it. Many times there were repeats of the same questions, and repeats on our part of the same answers.
And now that I think about it I remember when I was a child asking the same question! Maybe it's just genetic.
Never, ever be embarrassed by showing your heart. That shows that you are living honestly, and shows your children who you really are, which is a great gift to them.
Everyone has a fear of death to some degree, and it's never something we enjoy dealing with, but we deal with it with a sense of hope and longing for Home that Kaya hasn't grasped yet. She will though, and you will teach her well.
Love
Dad